Practical marketing advice from a SaaS marketing expert
I’m Peter Cohen, principal of SaaS Marketing Strategy Advisors. When you call, I'm the guy you'll talk with.
Before I started my own firm, I'd spent many years in marketing positions with Lotus, IBM, and other companies. If you have marketing responsibilities at your company, I've been in your shoes and understand your challenges.
In particular, I’ve learned a lot about what works and what doesn’t when it comes to marketing software-as-a-service (SaaS) solutions. Over many years working with many companies, I've earned my SaaS marketing expertise. Whatever issue you're facing, there's a good chance that I've seen it before.
I started SaaS Marketing Strategy Advisors to share that experience with my clients. I focus on providing practical, actionable advice that has measurable impact. The goal is to help you acquire and retain customers, not generate overly-long presentations or heavy tomes that sit on your shelf or buried in your hard drive.
Working with me, SaaS companies can avoid mistakes, save time and money, and get things done that have real impact on their customer acquisition efforts.
A few practical lessons I’ve learned about SaaS marketing
- Build a comprehensive plan – something that covers the entire evaluation and purchase process. That's much more effective than a patchwork of assorted marketing programs that don't fit together well.
- Start with a consistent value proposition: who should buy your solution, what problem does it solve, and why should they buy it from you. It’s an essential foundation for all marketing material, and without it you're likely to be wasting your marketing budget.
- Talk with customers and prospects. It helps to understand what they need and how they want to buy it. You can learn a lot just by asking.
- Busy marketers need practical, actionable advice. You need to get things done and have measurable impact on the business.
- Marketing SaaS solutions is different from on-premises solutions. SaaS marketers target different audiences with different messages through different processes.
More about my experience
I have more than 30 years’ experience developing and implementing successful marketing strategies for technology companies. I've spent most of my career in senior marketing roles for technology vendors including Authoria, Lotus, and IBM.
Since founding SaaS Marketing Strategy Advisors in 2008, I've worked with clients including Buildium, Carbonite, Constant Contact, Honeywell, Progress Software, and Towers Watson.
I publish a blog and a monthly newsletter, both titled "Practical Advice on SaaS Marketing." I've also spoken at events hosted by Progress Software, SaaS University, the MIT Entrepreneurs Forum, the Mass Technology Leadership Forum, among others.
I have bachelor's degree from Vassar College and a master's degree from Georgetown University.
You can learn more about my background on my LInkedIn profile.